Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Wednesday, January 13, 2010

it's SheTLer, not SheLTer - you Jacka**!

So yesterday Christopher & I finally went to the DMV to turn in our SC licenses and get brand spankin' new AR ones. We walked right up (no line!) and handed over our SC licenses and showed our passports. The helpful gentleman went and made copies of both documents and then proceeded to type our information into the system. Did we want to register to vote? Yes! One stop shopping. He was quite chatty, explaining that in AR there would be a comma after each word in our name. (For example: Swearingen, Emilie, Shetler,) He was also very chatty about where we lived, our commute to the Children's Hospital and "oh by the way, do you know Dr. So-and-So? because she used to be my step-mom." Finally we stepped around to get our photos taken, autographed the paper and waited for our new licenses to drop into the tray. Mine dropped first. I took one look at it, walked back around to the front of the counter and handed it to the chatty gentleman.

Me: you spelled my middle name wrong.
CG: really? Emilie Shelter Swearingen is wrong?
Me: yes. It's Shetler not Shelter
CG: oh sorry about that
Me: it was the first thing I checked because it happens all the time. In fact, there is even a Facebook Group called "It's Shetler, not Shelter - you Jacka**!" (this cracked up the guy behind me in line)
CG: well I just copied it off of your SC license so I guess it was misspelled there too.
Me: no. I don't think it was. I usually check.
CG: (pulls copy of SC license) yes. See here. I just copied the way they had it.
Me: It says Shetler on my SC license.
CG: no. see. Shelter
Me: no. see. S. H. E. T. L. E. R.
CG: oh. yah. oops
Me: no big deal. it really does happen all the time. can we fix it?
CG: yes. sure can. (then proceeds to pick up the phone to ask supervisor how to fix it)

Chatty Gentleman finally fixes my name.

Me: don't forget that comma after my middle name.

I then have to step back around the counter to get my picture taken and sign the autograph paper again. Then I wait for my new AR license to drop into the tray. And I wait. And I wait. Then chatty gentleman realizes that the machine is not working.

Me: is this because I called you a jacka**?

I am now the proud owner of a new AR driver's license. Swearingen, Emilie, Shetler,

3 comments:

mim Claire said...

How funny! Enjoyed that story. We have the same problem with our last name. They've written, deJorge, deJong, everything but deJongh. I guess I could say, "it's deJongh, you jacka** Have a great day Emily. love, mom Claire

Unknown said...

I feel your pain, happens to me all the time.

Bill Shetler

Charmed by the Star Filled Texas Sky said...

Beautiful Blog!! :)