Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Friday, August 20, 2010

Garlic/Onion Chicken Stock

Last night we ate the very delicious 20-40 Garlic Clove Chicken from the crock pot. After dinner I filled up 2 lunch containers and still had a few little pieces of chicken and much of the sauce left. It wasn't enough for another lunch but it was too much to throw away. And I hated the thought of throwing away all the yummy garlic and onion goodness. So I just put the whole thing in the fridge.

This morning I did this:

Got the crock pot back out and lined a small bowl with a plastic grocery store baggie from my stash. (aside: I take my own reusable bags to the store but inevitably arrive home with something in a plastic bag. So I keep them in my pantry for use when I'm taking the skin off of chicken or some other gross thing that I don't want to throw straight in the trash.)Then I sifted through the crock pot's contents with my fingers and removed every bone and other misc. yuckiness.I used my immersion blender to puree` the remaining broth, chicken, garlic and onion.And voila! I have a great soup starter in my freezer awaiting colder weather.

2 comments:

Melanie said...

Did you know you can also return all of the bones and yuckiness back to the crockpot after serving dinner, add a couple of cups of water, and cook it all on low overnight again to get extra-yummy and super-concentrated broth? One of our favorite easy meals is to just throw a whole chicken in the crockpot and cook it all day. It falls apart and the meat is so juicy, and it's way cheaper than a rotisserie chicken from the store if you buy the whole chickens on sale. And what's better than homemade, virtually free chicken broth in your freezer?!

Emilie said...

definitely so good. I always save the stock for soups. Unfortunately - it's too hot for soup right now! The chicken I used yesterday were leg quarters at .49 a pound. So much less expensive.