Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Saturday, August 14, 2010

Kitchen tips

Prep once - eat thrice. . . .

Saturday night is pizza night. This is a tradition the Shetler family has carried on for many years and Christopher & I jumped on board. The point is . . . after working all day on projects around the house, the very last thing you want to worry about is: What is for dinner? Of course ordering the pizza would be so much easier. . . . but homemade pizza is incredibly yummy and easier on the ole budget. I've come up with a few shortcuts to save more time and money.

#1 - I used to pile a whole pound of sausage, onion and bell pepper onto one pizza. I realized this was just way to much. So now I cook one pound of sausage and put half on the pizza. The other half either goes in a bag and into the freezer for next week's pizza, or it gets made into sausage gravy for on biscuits the next morning.

#2 - I chop up the onion and pepper and divide in half. One half also gets put in the freezer for next week. (note* I prefer fresh veggies on our pizza . . . but I prefer to not throw out spoiled veggies even more . . . so into the freezer they go). On occasion I will still not use quite all of the pepper and onion on the pizza (depending on their size) so I will put a lid on the prep bowl and stick them in the fridge to be used in a breakfast frittata in the next couple of days.

and our yummy pizza with its pepperoni, hot sausage, onion, bell pepper, banana pepper. . .
and cheese!

0 comments: